Betty Cooper, the Phoenix Trust's historical geographer, tells us that one of her favourite buildings in Stoke-on-Trent is Tunstall Town Hall.
A free Renaissance style building, the town hall was designed by architect Absalom Reade Wood and opened by John Nash Peak, the Chief Bailiff, on October 29th, 1885. Its entrance hall was paved with encaustic tiles and a grand staircase led to the first floor. The staircase had Kerridge stone steps, ornamental iron railings and a mahogany hand rail. At the top of the staircase there was a long corridor leading to a Magistrates' Court, a council chamber and an assembly room where dances and concerts were held. There were offices for local government officials on the ground floor and the National Provincial Bank rented rooms overlooking The Boulevard and High Street.
The town hall keeper lived on the premises. He had a small basement flat at the opposite end of the building where Butterfield Place joins High Street.