Conservationists in Germany are racing against time to save what is left of the Olympic Village built by the Nazis when the games were held in Berlin in 1936.
Some dilapidated buildings are still standing but most of the village was demolished by the Russian Army which used it as a barracks between 1945 and 1992.
The remaining buildings include the swimming pool, the theatre, the gymnasium and the athletes’ dining room.
Although named the Peace Village by Hitler’s propaganda machine, the village was built for the Germany Army who moved in as soon as the athletes went home.
Today, the village is owned by the DKB Bank Foundation whose spokesperson, Jens Becker is reported as saying: “This is the oldest Olympic Village that exists and that is why it is important to save it.
“It is a part of German history that nearly disappeared and now we are trying to get it back.”