DISPLAY cabinets are being installed in the old Arts Club Room area of Leek’s Nicholson Institute, to bring to public view the many historical artefacts held in store by the District Council as part of the new Nicholson Museum, due to open in October this year.
Leader of the District Council Cllr. Sybil Ralphs who originated the idea of re-establishing the museum in the Nicholson building said, ‘This exciting proposal represents a long-held wish and stated ambition of mine to see the Nicholson fully returned to its original purpose of a public centre of excellence and learning.
‘In working closely with our colleagues in the County Council, we restored and refurbished the Nicholson Gallery in 2008 to a very high standard, and it has been successfully staging a year-long programme of public exhibitions.
‘We are now working to provide residents and visitors with an even greater attraction, showing artefacts reflecting the social history of the area and the Nicholson family, providing research facilities, lectures and much else, in an historic building for future generations. The Nicholson Institute would then be one of only three such buildings in the country still used for its original purposes’.
Originally The Nicholson Institute was built then bequeathed to the people of Leek as a place of learning and culture by Mill owner Joshua Nicholson in 1884. It is a grade II listed building, built by renowned architect William Sugden.
Owned by Staffordshire County Council, the Institute currently houses a library, art gallery and school of art.