Copyright Camera in the City – The Phoenix Trust 2013
Archive for the ‘Photo Albums’ category
Welcome to Our World
During the next few months, Our World will show you some of the photographs taken in North Staffordshire between 1990 and 2010 for Camera in the City, a series of exhibitions and lectures organised by Heritage Associates.
The photograph was taken from the Trent and Mersey Canal’s towpath at Middleport on October 20th, 2008.
Photograph Copyright – Camera in the City/The Phoenix Trust 2013
These photographs show the interior of St. Saviour’s an historic “tin church” in the Rookery, near Kidsgrove. Erected at Butt Lane during the 1860s, the church was moved to the Rookery in 1879. The last service will be held there at 3 pm on September, 11th, 2011. Everyone who worshipped at the church or attended Sunday school there is invited to attend.
The houses shown in these photographs were built on a brownfield site at Birchenwood, near Kidsgrove. Before being landscaped and made into a country park, Birchenwood was a hive of industry. During the 19th century it was part of the Clough Hall estate. At different times in its history there have been coal mines, an ironworks, a chemical factory, a brickworks and coke ovens on the site. The North Staffordshire Railway Company’s “loop line” from Etruria to Kidsgrove ran through it and a mineral railway was constructed to carry coke to ironworks in the Biddulph Valley.